What we do
In the University of Essex Babylab, we study the development of perceptual and cognitive abilities in infants and children. Our studies will help us to gain more knowledge on how typically developing children learn to perceive and act on the world around them. They will hopefully also help to shed some light on a number of developmental disorders, and have direct implication for education.
We create fun studies that help us discover:
- the role of touch for development of self-perception and social interactions
- the effects of prenatal and postnatal mood on infant temperament, and the benefits of attending parenting educational classes – in collaboration with Babybrains
- how children perceive their body in the space
- how babies learn to use their senses to understand the world
- how their language and understanding of the world develops
If you live in or around Colchester and are interested in participating in our studies, please sign up.
Essex Babylab in the news
BBC Look East came to visit EssexBabylab!
We are proud to be a Validated Learning Destination for Essex Children’s University. By taking part in Children’s University, we can celebrate and reward achievements in learning.
We are very grateful for your support – without participation we would not be able complete this project and make new discoveries that may contribute to improving our understanding of cognitive development.